Skip to content

Transfer Students

The Fall 2024 application is live on Common App. For priority consideration, the Fall 2024 application should be completed by March 15 with all materials being submitted shortly after.  Our first notifications will be sent towards the end of March for early completers and rolling every few weeks after that. Applications will shut down for new application submissions on June 15 and all missing materials must be here by June 20 for consideration. Applications incomplete at that point will not be considered.

The 2025 (spring and fall) application will not be available until August 1.

Have questions? Email for Admissions questions or connect with Financial Aid.

Schedule a prospective transfer student advising appointment with one of our transfer team members to review your transcript, curriculum requirements, and/or get advisement on course selection. A formal credit evaluation will be provided to students with an admissions offer.

Stephanie Graham, Senior Admissions Counselor
Schedule via Bookings

Tanya Strachan, Associate Director
Schedule via Bookings

A person sitting outside in the grass with a laptop computer.

Begin your application

  1. Apply online through the Common Application (CA) which will include a Personal Statement essay and the Rochester supplemental questions which includes 2 short answer questions.

Note: Transfers can be considered for GEARGRADE, and HEAL (not DDE or REMS). Applications to the Eastman School of Music and the College are separate due to different deadlines, but if admitted to both and enrolled at both you could pursue a dual degree. 

Submit your supporting materials

The following required materials must be submitted to us directly by your school, testing site, or family member, depending on the document:

  • Official college transcript(s)
  • Final high school transcript*
  • Academic Evaluator recommendation (ideally a college professor)
  • Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation of college transcripts (required if college education has been outside the US). Acceptable outside companies to use for the evaluation are World Education Services (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE). Please ensure you’ve requested your reports to be sent to the University of Rochester upon completion. View Rochester’s ECE landing page.

*If you have completed at least one year of full-time college coursework, you may request your high school transcript not be considered. Please email us at after you’ve applied to request this. However, sending more information may improve your chances of admission.

You can also sign up for an interview (highly recommended) and/or submit the following materials:


A smiling student sitting among the leaves on the Eastman Quad.

International students

International students will need to submit additional documents to be considered for admission to the University of Rochester:

Details for international applicants

Monroe Community College 2+2 Dual Admission Degree Program

The College in Arts, Sciences & Engineering has a dual admissions agreement program with Monroe Community College (MCC). You enroll in the 2+2 program through Monroe Community College and complete a set of courses for your academic interest, leading to an associate degree. You are then guaranteed admission to continue your studies at the University of Rochester in your chosen major of study.

The program is best for first-year, full-time students who know which bachelor’s degree they want to pursue. You’ll complete recommended courses of study, receive a minimum grade requirement, and transfer to the University after two years with junior class standing.

Admissions counselors visit MCC’s Advisement Center every semester to advise you on your academic plans. Degree audit sheets are also available to help guide you with your course selection. Our MCC’ Master List of reviewed courses can also be used.

How to apply to Rochester

If you’re a current MCC Dual 2+2 student finishing the program, you must submit the following to the University of Rochester the semester before you plan to enroll as a full-time Rochester student:

*The Intent to Enroll Form should be completed by March 15 for fall enrollment and October 15 for spring enrollment at Rochester.

Available 2+2 academic programs

Rochester offers 2+2 programs in the following academic areas:

  • Anthropology
  • Art History
  • Biology
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Black Studies
  • Business
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • English majors – British and American Literature, Creative Writing, Language, Media & Communications, or Theater
  • History
  • Mathematics
  • Optics
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Studio arts

Some of our engineering 2+2 program requirements have cross-registering requirements for courses at Rochester while enrolled at Monroe Community College which allow a student to stay on track as a junior. These cross-registration courses are processed through the Rochester Area Colleges (RAC) Inter-Institutional program agreement. When taking cross-registration courses, you’ll follow the RAC procedures on the registrar’s site.

Eastman School students playing instruments.

Current Eastman School of Music students

Students who are currently enrolled at the Eastman School of Music can take advantage of academic opportunities at the University of Rochester.

Eastman students can take some courses in the College of Arts, Sciences & Engineering in addition to their Eastman degree. It’s often helpful to do this to explore your interests and confirm your plans to pursue a dual degree program at the College. Taking some ASE courses lets you a start on the College requirements and demonstrate the ability to navigate two challenging degree paths at the same time.

Some students choose to add a dual degree with the College and complete a degree from both campuses. After consulting with Eastman’s Academic Affairs Office a student may also decide to transfer from Eastman to the College.

Either way, we’ll work with you to make the transition as seamless as possible so you can stay on track while making the most of your education at Rochester.

Add a dual degree

If you’re a current Eastman School of Music student looking to add a dual degree with the College, you must complete the ESM Intent to Enroll Form.

  • Fall enrollment: Complete Intent to Enroll Form by March 15
  • Spring enrollment: Complete Intent to Enroll Form by October 15

These deadlines allow us time to receive, review, and respond to your academic credentials. Beyond your intent to enroll form, we will request your high school transcript and Eastman transcript to consider your academic preparation for success in your College major.

It is recommended that first-year students wait until after they’ve completed their first year and have taken some College courses to seek that degree.

You will receive a decision from the Office of Admissions at the College regarding your request to add a dual degree about a month after submitting the intent form to our MyRoc applicant portal. You must submit a reply form to confirm your enrollment in a dual degree.

Transfer from the Eastman School to the College of Arts, Science & Engineering

If you’re currently enrolled at Eastman but want to pursue a degree only from the College in Arts, Sciences & Engineering, you should apply as a transfer student following instructions for the Common Application process.

Please make sure you’ve consulted with Eastman’s Academic Affairs Office before submitting an application as you’d have to follow procedures to drop your degree. Scholarships awarded by Eastman will not follow you and you’ll be considered for scholarships through the College’s Admissions Office review.

A student working at a desk with papers and a computer.

Non-matriculated part-time studies

If you’re interested in taking non-matriculated (non-degree) part-time or full-time courses at the University of Rochester, you can register for courses through the Office of Summer and Continuing Studies.

No more than six non-matriculated courses taken at the University can be applied toward a Rochester degree.

Want a degree from Rochester?

If you’re looking to earn a degree from Rochester, you must apply for admission, be accepted, and matriculate into a degree-seeking program. You would follow the transfer application instructions on this page and submit the Common Application material. You can indicate if you are seeking enrollment as a part-time or full-time student in the application.

Staff in the Office of Admissions can discuss your academic background and any future plans you may have for applying to a degree program. Some students find it helpful to take non-matriculated courses and then apply after they’ve take a few Rochester courses. You can contact us at (585) 275-3221 or

Current University employees

If you are a University of Rochester employee, you and your children may be eligible for tuition benefits. If it’s been a while since you’ve been in the classroom or are looking to pursue a different path you may want to take some non-matriculated courses prior to applying to matriculate in a degree program.

Application for readmission

Previously a student at Rochester

If you were a student at the University of Rochester and either withdrew in good standing or were separated from the University, you do not reapply through the Office of Admissions. Instructions and policies regarding readmission to the College can be found on the College Center for Advising Services website.

Go to CCAS

Submit your financial aid application

Investing in a quality education is a big decision. At Rochester, we provide a sound program of need-based financial assistance. Typical packages include scholarships, grants, loans, work-study, and outside awards.

Undergraduate transfer students applying as US citizens or eligible non-citizens must submit the FAFSA for federal funding and the CSS Profile for University funding. We may request additional items once a financial aid counselor reviews your application.

Rochester is need-aware for transfer applicants and it is incorporated into our holistic review. Institutional aid is extremely limited for non-US citizens transfer applicants.

Learn more about financial aid.

Legacy Applicants

A legacy applicant is someone who is related to an alumnus of Rochester—usually a child of a graduate.

University of Rochester alumni are an integral part of our community and play an important role in telling our story to prospective students and parents far and wide. By extension we look forward to welcoming future generations of highly-qualified Rochester legacies to join the University family.

  • Legacy students’ applications will be reviewed using the same holistic, multi-reader review process in which all applicants are reviewed.
  • Legacy applicants do not automatically receive special attention or consideration.
  • Students are not automatically admitted to the University of Rochester based on legacy status.
  • Legacy students may be:
    • Invited to special events (as part of Meliora weekend and throughout the year) regarding college applications presented by our Admissions staff.

Commonly Asked Questions

How will I know if my credits will transfer?

A detailed pre-enrollment Transfer Credit Evaluation will be included with an admissions offer. Courses taken at another college are evaluated individually for transfer credit. If coursework is judged as comparable in level and content to coursework offered at the University of Rochester, and completed with a grade of C or better, it will transfer for elective credit.

Credit for “P”, “S”, and “CR” (or similar grades) where there is not another grading option will be awarded as elective credit. In the event that there is a letter grade underneath the “P,” “S” or “CR” that is below “C,” credit will not be awarded. However, elective credit will be granted for all “P”, “S” and “CR” grades earned during the Spring 2020 semester due to pandemic academic interruption.

All transfer coursework comes in as elective credit. To obtain course equivalencies, students must reach out to the authorized departmental contact from the following list: The College Center for Advising Services provides additional information regarding transfer credit policies and cluster requirements for transfers.

The articulation guide of Monroe Community College courses can be used as a resource to see what types of courses could transfer from other institutions.

What are the University of Rochester’s application short essay questions?

Part 1 – The University of Rochester motto of Meliora – or “ever better” – deeply integrates core values into all that we do. These core values of equity, leadership, integrity, openness, respect, and accountability define not only who we are, but also who we hope to become. Please use the space to highlight a time, creative idea or research experience when you put into action one or more of these characteristics in order to make yourself, your community or the world ever better. (250 word limit)

Part 2 – Choose one of the following prompts to reflect on in a short essay: (200 word limit)

American social reformer, abolitionist, writer and statesman Frederick Douglass said, “Some know the value of education by having it. I knew its value by not having it.” Explain ways in which education has directly influenced you and your ability to do good in the world. How will you use the curricular flexibility and co-curricular opportunities of the University of Rochester experience to grow and promote positive change for yourself, your community and the world?

Dr. Donna Strickland, University of Rochester alum and 2018 Nobel Prize winner in Physics said, “There’s no point in me being anything other than me.” The University of Rochester encourages each student to embrace multiple aspects of their identity and create their own individual curricular path and experience. How will you use the opportunities here to fully be who you are? What unique elements of your background, perspectives, and experiences will you bring to our community?

The University of Rochester benefactor entrepreneur, photography pioneer and philanthropist George Eastman said, “What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do in our leisure hours determines what we are.” Looking forward towards your college experience, what do you hope to do outside of the classroom at the University of Rochester that will enhance who you are as a person? What past involvements have helped define your identity and your role within your many communities?

Susan B. Anthony, champion of abolition and women’s rights, once said “Organize, agitate, education must be our war cry.” As you look to join our community of doers and disruptors, in what ways do you envision using both the curricular flexibility and co-curricular opportunities to invoke change for marginalized groups? How has your unique lived experience shaped your identity and prepared you to be a changemaker here?

Am I considered a first-year or transfer applicant?

If you have graduated from high school or earned a high school equivalency, and have enrolled and will complete eight or more college credits following graduation, you would be considered a transfer applicant. If you matriculated somewhere else but have withdrawn you could be considered as a first-year applicant, but you should address your withdrawal within your application.

Applicants who are most competitive for transfer admission will have completed at least a year of college courses (24–32 credits) at the time of applying.

If you have graduated from high school more than two years ago but have not taken college level classes, you are considered a first-year applicant. You may be more competitive for admissions by taking some college courses and then applying as a transfer. Every applicant’s situation is different and you may want to contact us about your circumstances.

If you are obtaining a high school diploma and or an associate degree through a dual-enrollment or “early college” program, you will be considered as a first-year applicant because you have not officially graduated from high school. Rochester requires that students have a high school diploma or equivalency. College courses can be considered for transfer credit if they were done on a college campus prior to equivalency earned but will not be applied to advance class standing or used for the Rochester curriculum requirements. First-year applicants can only accelerate graduation by one semester and transfers it will depend upon credits awarded. See the Enrollment Policy.

Am I eligible for an application fee waiver?

A number of applicants may qualify for an application fee waiver. When using the Common Application, you may be eligible for a waiver based upon need criteria that is determined based upon your response to questions. There is also waivers issued by Rochester based upon the additional criteria that can be selected in our member questions if you fit additional criteria:

  • For Phi Theta Kappa members
  • For Veterans or Active Duty military
  • For students in a New York State Opportunity program (HEOP, EOP, SEEK, or College Discovery)
  • For applicants who attended high school within the Rochester City School District
  • For graduates of the Say Yes to College Program
  • For students who have received approval based upon financial hardship from a Rochester Admissions Counselor
  • For Recruited athletes
What are the minimum requirements for admission?

For the fall of 2024, the typical student admitted at Rochester:

  • Took challenging college courses
  • Maintained a median college GPA of 3.6. This varies by semester but most admitted students have earned above a 3.3.
  • Has started or is prepared to explore classes within their major area of interest
  • Joined as incoming sophomores or juniors based on awarded transfer credits
  • Demonstrated an active, independent role in their educational, personal, and community activities

We value unquantifiable strengths such as initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, openness, motivation, and leadership, and we’re also careful to ensure our student body represents the full spectrum of diversity, including hometowns, ideas, and experiences.

What is the College Report (CA)?

This report collects information about your standing at your current institution. A dean, registrar, advisor, or other college official who has access to your academic records can complete this report. You may need to inquire at your institution to determine who can submit this report for you.

I’ve submitted my application. When will I hear back?

It takes about 4-6 weeks to review an application and notify you of the decision. Review of Fall semester applications begins in early March, with notification beginning in mid-March. Review of Spring semester applications begins in September, with notification beginning in early October. You are encouraged to complete your application by the priority deadline to receive earlier notification and for strongest consideration. If you complete your application after the priority deadline, you will be reviewed and notified on a rolling basis. Notification may take longer if we need to request additional information.

How will I be notified of your decision?

All students’ decisions will be posted to your MyROC applicant portal. You’ll receive an email when a decision has been made and posted. Please check your MyROC applicant portal to ensure your contact information is accurate and to follow your application through the review stages. For those admitted to Rochester along with the decision there will be copy of your transfer credit evaluation released at the time of acceptance based upon completed and any in progress courses. Please make sure to save a copy of the PDF of your evaluation for your records as it can be helpful when speaking to faculty about credit that won’t have access to it.

Does completing an interview matter for admissions?

Rochester highly encourages you to interview. An interview with a Rochester representative is a great way to talk about your background, experiences, and interests. Rochester students are so much more than just pieces of paper, and we want to take the time to get to know you. Notes from interviews are used in our review, so interviews should be complete by the time your application is submitted for our review. Interviews can help us get to know you better and help with merit scholarship consideration.

When should I complete my interview?

If you want to enroll for the fall semester, interview in the spring. If you want to enroll in the spring, interview in the summer or fall. You can interview prior to submitting your application or after, but to insure your interview is included in our review make sure it’s done by when all required application material is here for review.

Are transfer applicants considered for scholarships?

Yes. All applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships. Rochester receives applications from many qualified students, but not every admitted student will receive a scholarship. You are considered holistically for potential merit scholarships and about 45% of admitted transfer students will receive a scholarship. An average transfer scholarship amount is $12,000 per year of study, but there are higher amounts awarded. If you are awarded a merit based scholarship, it will be included in your admissions decision letter.

When will I hear about my financial aid package?

The Financial Aid Office will email you a few business days after your admissions decision has been released to sign into the secure FAO online to view your package. The Financial Aid Office must have all of the required documents to complete the package in the time period. If you are applying for aid, you should complete your FAFSA and CSS PROFILE at the same time you are submitting your application for admission, so that the financial aid process is not held up. In addition to the FAFSA and CSS Profile, Rochester collects tax information through the College Board’s IDOC Service. If you have questions regarding aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Will you award transfer credit based upon examination?

Credit can be awarded for the following official exam results for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and A-level exams.

Credit is not grant transfer credit for American Council on Education (ACE), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).

Some Rochester academic departments (languages and mathematics) have placement exams available to help advise students proper course sequencing placement. Consult with the academic department if you have a question about course placement based upon your foundation.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

Graduation year and class standing is determined by the number of credit hours granted at the time of entrance. The class year gives you an idea of how long it would take you to earn the minimum of 128 credit hours to complete a degree at Rochester. Graduation class year may change depending on your academic foundation for an intended major (especially true for engineering, computer science, digital media studies, and public health) or course of study.

You are encouraged to speak with an academic department adviser about any questions regarding major course equivalences. Faculty identified as department contacts can be found on the Authorized Approval List.

The table below illustrates the number of credit hours associated with each class standing.

Class Fall Term Spring Term
First Year 0–23 8–39
Sophomore 24–55 40–71
Junior 56–87 72–99
Senior 88+ 100

Rochester does require students to maintain full-time enrollment for at least 4 semesters in order to obtain a degree. Depending on how many credits the student comes in with the Enrollment Policy dictates how many semesters you’d have to be a student to earn the minimum of 128 credits required for graduation.

Is there a maximum number of credits that will transfer?

A maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year school may transfer to your Rochester degree requirements. Transferrable courses beyond the 64 credit limit can be used towards major requirement but won’t continue to accrue.

If you are transferring from a four-year school, you may transfer more than 64 credits. However, students must complete at least four full-time semesters at Rochester in order to obtain a degree.

Does Rochester consider applicants who are seeking a second bachelor’s degree?

Yes. You can apply as a transfer student to obtain a second degree. The degree must be in a completely different area of study than your first degree and might not be advised depending on your goals. The College may not be able to award a second degree if you’re looking for a second BA degree.

Second degree students receive little financial aid support and it might be best for you to consider a graduate program. You are encouraged to speak with an admissions counselor and potentially a graduate department head about your plans and goals.

Can transfer students be considered for the New York State Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)?

Yes. Transfer applicants must be currently enrolled in a HEOP, EOP, SEEK or College Discovery program and meet regular admission standards as a transfer applicant. In addition, there must be space available in our program and you need to provide documentation verifying your eligibility. HEOP counselors are available to assist you with questions about the program and potential openings. For more information, please call (585) 275-0651 or visit Rochester’s program for more information.

I am interested in a degree in nursing. Can I apply to Rochester?

Yes. However, the nursing program is not an entry-level program. You must have either an RN license or a bachelor’s degree and apply directly to the School of Nursing.

They do offer accelerated programs for students who have a bachelors in a non-Nursing area. You could transfer to Rochester to pursue a bachelors degree in something from the College of Arts, Sciences, & Engineering, do Nursing pre-requisites, and then apply one of the School of Nursing programs.

For more information, please contact the School of Nursing.

I have been admitted and I recently enrolled. What’s next?

Fantastic! Once you have enrolled, you will receive email communications from Admissions with the next steps for new students. You will get a lot of information to read through, forms to complete, and additional information about Orientation and Advising leading up to the term you are joining us. Orientation will take over communications and provide students with pre-arrival information. Course registration happens after you’ve met with your assigned college advisor prior to the start of the semester. If you are looking to get a jump-start on things, be sure to monitor Orientation website to see the most up to date information.

Return to the top of the page