Skip to content

Veteran Resources

Veteran and military family services

The University of Rochester encourages and supports past and present military service members and their families as they work toward their higher education goals. Veterans and dependents who choose Rochester pursue their academics at one of the nation’s most rigorous, top-tier research universities.

Rochester has been recognized as a Best College for Veterans for its efforts to ensure service members face minimal barriers in attaining higher education. Rochester also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and has a Veterans Alliance group. Veterans and their dependents have access to many resources to help navigate any hurdles.

If you have any questions, please email or call us at (585) 275-3226.


A University of Rochester student who is also a veteran of the US armed forces smiling at the camera.

Further your education

Apply as a veteran

To become an undergraduate student in the College at the University of Rochester, you must apply either as a first-year or a transfer applicant. Transfer applicants must have completed at least two college-level courses. The average transfer applicant has completed a year of full-time courses (24–32 credits) before enrolling.

Rochester has a holistic review process and will consider all applicants in our review. Students can start the application process by applying through the Common Application or the Coalition for College Application.

First-year applicant     Transfer applicant

Yellow Ribbon Program

The University of Rochester is pleased to announce that all qualified, admissible, Post-9/11 veterans of the United States Armed Forces admitted to the University will receive Yellow Ribbon (formerly Rochester Pledge) funding.

Yellow Ribbon, in combination with the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and any additional University funding, will cover full tuition for veterans who are eligible for the 100 percent benefit rate.

The University is proud to have no limit to the number of eligible students that can use Yellow Ribbon, helping ensure that those who have served honorably and sacrificed so much for their country face no financial barriers in attaining a higher education.

To be considered for Yellow Ribbon, you must apply for education benefits through the VA and provide proof of education benefits (e.g., statement of benefits from, certificate of eligibility, or a screenshot from eBenefits) to the University of Rochester. If you wish to be considered for additional assistance, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Yellow Ribbon Program participants include:

Submitting benefits

Proof of education benefits should be sent to This proof should be submitted after you’ve accepted your offer to enroll at the University.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Veterans resources directory

Admissions offices

Service personnel standing vigil with an American flag.

Financial Aid Office
Samantha Veeder

Associate Dean of College Enrollment and Director of Financial Aid

PO Box 270261
Rochester, NY 14627-0251

Phone: (585) 275-3226 


Graduate Admissions
Kristina Lantzky-Eaton

Assistant Dean of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs

302 Lattimore Hall
Box 270401
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-2059 

School of Nursing
Alexandria Duffney, MS

Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management

University of Rochester, School of Nursing
Rochester, NY 14642

(585) 275-2375

Simon Business School
Janet Mejias, S’16 (MBA)

Director, Equity and Inclusion

Office of Student Engagement Suite
PO Box 270100
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-0895

Full-Time Students           
Andrew Brayda

Director of Admissions

245 Gleason Hall
PO Box 270107
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-3533

Warner School of Education
Pamela Black-Colton

Executive Director of Admissions
Warner School of Education

LeChase Hall 244
PO Box 270425
Rochester, NY 14627-0425

(585) 275-6338

Academic advising, tutoring & mentoring

An advisor smiling at the camera.

College Center for Advising Services
Kate McKenna

Associate Director, Coordinator of Transfer Student Advising

312 Lattimore Hall
PO Box 270402
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-2354

Nick Valentino

Academic Counselor
Hajim School of Engineering & Applied Sciences

301A Lattimore Hall
PO Box 270076
Rochester, NY  14627

(585) 276-7802

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Rachel Remmel, PhD

Assistant Dean and Executive Director

1-154 Dewey Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-9049

The Gwen M. Greene Career Center

4-200 Dewey Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-2366

Office for Residential Life and Housing Services

020 Gates Hall (Susan B. Anthony Halls)
PO Box 270468
Rochester, NY 14627-0468

(585) 275-3166                                

NROTC Rochester
Russ Sanchez

Captain, United States Navy

Commanding Officer, NROTC Unit Rochester
Professor of Naval Science

Andrew F. D’Ambrosio, Jr.

Executive Officer, NROTC Unit Rochester
Professor of Naval Science

Morey Hall 100

PO Box 270436
Rochester, NY 14627-0436

Office: (585) 275-4276
Cell: (757) 651-4761

Intercultural Center

Jessica Guzman-Rea, EdD, LMSW

Assistant Dean for Diversity, Arts, Sciences and Engineering

Director, Paul J. Burgett Intercultural Center

305 Douglass Commons                             Box 270049                                           Rochester, NY 14627-0049


Health, wellness & counseling

NROTC running a rope climbing drill in the gym.

University Counseling Center
University Health Service

738 Library Road
PO Box 270358
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-3113

Disability Resources Coordinator
Lynnett Van Slyke, CRC

University Intercessor & Disability Compliance Director

36 Wallis Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-9125

Financial services

A close up of a University veterans pin on a person's shirt.

River Campus
Kaylee Leone

Military Program Counselor
Financial Aid Office

PO Box 270261
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-3226


Eastman School of Music
Tina Berds

Assistant Director

26 Gibbs Street
Rochester, NY 14604

(585) 274-1070

School of Medicine and Dentistry
Kathleen Kelly

Medical School Registrar
Offices for Medical Education
School of Medicine and Dentistry

Box 601
601 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14642

(585) 275-4541

Office of the Bursar

330 Meliora Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-5817                                      


Common questions

What educational benefit is best for me?

Detailed information about education benefit options is available at

I am a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?
  1. Apply for educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  2. Notify the VA School Certifying Official that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.
I am the dependent of a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?
  1. Your parent transfers a portion—or all—of his/her benefit to you through Transfer of Entitlement.
  2. After the transfer is approved, you apply for the educational benefit.
  3. You notify the VA School Certifying Official that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.
What documentation does the VA School certifying official need from me to process my veteran’s educational benefits?

Proof of education benefits can be submitted in one of the following ways:

  • Statement of benefits from
  • Certificate of eligibility
  • Screenshot from your eBenefits page

In addition to proof of benefits, VMFS needs a completed UR Education Benefit Form for the semester you wish to be certified.

How do I submit my proof of education benefits?
Whom do I call about the status of my educational benefits claim?

Call 1-888-442-4551 to speak with an Educational Case Manager at the VA.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

For an overview of the program, please visit the Yellow Ribbon Program page on the VA website.

How do I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

You or your parent must qualify for 100 percent of the Post-9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

What University of Rochester schools or divisions participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The participating University schools or divisions include:

  • Arts, Sciences & Engineering
  • Eastman School of Music
  • Simon Business School
  • Warner School of Education
  • School of Nursing
Return to the top of the page