Skip to content

International FAQs

Have questions about applying as an international student?

Some answers to frequently asked questions from our team of international admissions counselors.
Begin your application to Rochester.

How do I apply if I am a dual citizen?

If you have citizenship in the United States you should apply as a U.S. citizen.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, but I live in the United States and go to school here, am I considered an international student?

Yes. You are designated international if you are a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. permanent resident, regardless of where you live or go to school.

If I am in the process of obtaining permanent residency/green card, how do I apply for admission?
  • If you have been issued a document showing approval of permanent residency status, you may apply as a domestic applicant. Please inform the University of Rochester admissions office of your immigration status, including either a copy of your green card or of the document showing approval of your new status, by emailing
  • If you have not yet received approval of permanent residency, please apply as an international applicant. If your status changes at any time during the application or review process, please email so your application can be updated from international to domestic.
What tests do I need to take?

The University of Rochester is a test-optional institution. Therefore, you are not required to submit testing as part of your application. If you wish to have test scores considered during our review, please upload to your MyROC account after you have applied.

What are the minimum TOEFL/IELTS/DET scores?

 All international students are required to submit proof of English language proficiency. Students can demonstrate proof of English language proficiency through English language proficiency exams or by submitting an English Proficiency Waiver Request Form following submission of an application. The University of Rochester accepts the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test. See below for recommended English proficiency scores.

View our English language exams and associated scores for English language proficiency.

I attend an American high school (or college) and have been taking classes taught entirely in English. Do I still need to submit English Language Proficiency scores?

You can submit an English Proficiency Waiver Request if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  1. You are a native speaker of English.
  2. You have completed at least three years of high school where English was the primary language of instruction.
  3. You are a transfer applicant who has completed a year or more of college-level courses taught in the United States, including at least one writing-intensive course.

Waiver requests will be reviewed after the submission of an application and transcript. If approved, your application status will automatically be updated. International applicants must submit English proficiency exam scores or request a waiver by their application deadline.

I am an international student, but my native language is English, am I still required to take the TOEFL/IELTS/DET?

As an international student whose native/first-language is English, you are eligible for an English Proficiency Waiver Request.

Do you accept the TOEFL IBT at-home edition?

No, we do not accept the TOEFL IBT at-home edition.

What are the total costs to attend Rochester?
Is there financial aid or merit-based scholarships for international students?

International students at the University of Rochester are eligible for both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid.

What types of financial documents are necessary to submit as proof of sufficient funding with the International Financial Support Form (IFSF)?

Acceptable sources of funding are listed on the IFSF.

Can Rochester provide CSS Profile fee waivers?

We recognize that the CSS Profile Fee may be a financial barrier for some high-need international students. As a result, we have purchased a limited number of CSS Profile fee waivers to provide to eligible students. To submit a CSS Profile Fee Waiver Request, students must:

(1) Have submitted a Common Application or Coalition for College Application to Rochester

(2) Attest that the CSS Profile Fee will present a significant financial burden.

The deadline to request a waiver is January 15 for first-year applicants and April 15 for transfer students. Spring applicant’s deadline is November 15.

Once the request is submitted, International Admissions will follow up directly with the waiver credentials.

Is housing available for international students?

Absolutely, all undergraduate students are required to live on campus their first 2 years, and housing is available for all four undergraduate years.

Is there a separate international application?

No. U.S. citizens and international students complete the same Common or Coalition for College application.

How do I transfer credit for academic classes I have taken outside the U.S.?

You will have the opportunity to engage with members of the transfer admissions team as well as the College Center for Advising Services to determine transfer credit. Credentials outside of the US may require a WES or other third-party credential evaluation.

When can I apply to Rochester?

Fall applications open August 1. View the full list of dates and deadlines on our website.

When will I get my I-20? How do I apply for a student visa?

Admitted students for the fall semester will receive information via email in early spring. Once the New Student Information Form is completed by staff and the student, the I-20 process will commence. It is critical to check emails and complete all steps to receive the I-20 in a timely manner. The International Services Office will communicate with the student as well for Visa related concerns.

If I am admitted, when do I start classes?

This depends on your start term. You can visit the Academic Calendar online or contact us for more information about start dates and Orientation.

Can I apply as a transfer student?

Yes, if you have graduated from high school or earned a high school equivalency and have enrolled in eight or more college credits (typically one semester) following graduation, you would be considered a transfer applicant. Applicants who are most competitive for transfer admission will have completed at least a year of college courses (24–32 credits) at the time of applying.

Return to the top of the page